Not much but a feeling




Any decision of note in life is to involve doubt and with doubt comes risk and with risk reward and repercussion. The further I go in this process the clearer I see these things….I walked away from an above average salary and an above average lifestyle for one fraught with frustration and elation. Some would call that an even trade- I would state life without extremes as sleepwalking…frustration and elation average out to normal but within the average you never experience the highs and lows I believe we are intended for. I cannot describe the feeling of growing close with a group of strangers who I now consider family in many ways, I cannot describe the embrace of a member of my community after returning from an absence, and I can certainly not describe sitting around a town square with my fellow volunteers and our Peruvian friends sharing drinks and life as it comes to us. I have always held tight to the idea of one time around…and more and more I feel the sentiment within the moment. I feel my family a thousand miles away and I literally visualize embracing my niece and nephew every day….but I also visualize one day telling them to go, to live, and to sometimes do the illogical (which my sister will understand.....) because the fact is my heart will always be rooted in the things most important but fueled by the unique. This country is fraught with absurdity and beauty in the exact same step and it is teaching me different things every day. My fellow volunteers within my business class have peeled years off my mindset, my experiences have thrown the timer that I put on my life aside and reminded me that the only time that is important is the current and for that I am thankful. I am already fortunate to hold a great family, and great friends like family in the States, and now I stand with others going through the same experience some thriving, some sucking the tail pipe but all linked by a common experience and for that I am lucky, blessed whatever word suites you.

The outcome is never known but the road leading to it is the only interesting part anyways.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bigote

Life and such

Peru and what not