Insert cliche title about going home here


In a few short and at the same time very long days I will be voyaging home for the first time in over a year.  With mixed emotions about my first half of my service behind me I cannot swim against the current of being slightly reflective and sentimental looking back at the last time I was home and for all that I have experienced here.  As I pack my now relatively tattered wardrobe into my suitcase and glance through photos of my family and friends I am not only feeling anticipatory but nervous, anxious, and grateful all the while.
I stare back at the  twelveplus months behind me and see a roller coaster, but who of us who has ridden the coaster has not enjoyed it although terrorized at times during the ride.  We may pledge not to ever do it again but somewhere, at some time in our minds there are fond memories.  For me the ride continues to improve.  We are the blessed, those away from our homes and feeling like we are now at home at the same time.  I cannot wait to see my father at the airport, wake my niece and nephew from their slumber at 5 AM, and embrace my mother-make a go at seeing my friends who I have missed out on countless mocks and laughs with…gorge on my favorite foods, and pause from the surreal to enter the other side of surreal. 
The last months of my time here have been the sweetest for me as my work load has picked up with occasional success, my terrible Spanish is less terrible, and as I walk down the streets of my town I treated more and more like family and less like the gringo.  Kids running up to hug you, or being introduced to a group of people as being like family.  For the first time yesterday my host sister told me I was fat and I borrowed a line from my father and told her to touch before you talk, you are touching concrete-he always referred to them as steel bands but I lack the word for bands.  I am half way through my service and feel like I am rolling downhill instead of sucking wind at every step.  That is not to say life is perfect but I am at peace with my choice of pausing real life to step away to experience the unknown.  Who is to say what real life is anyways………
Peru is not a magical place but it can make you feel that way, but so does home and  shortly I will be on my way…………………………………………………………………

I also ate intestine soup for lunch today

Comments

  1. This was all great, but that last line is what had me reaching for the tissues.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bigote

Life and such

Peru and what not